Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lakeside Park

Municipal Parks often can provide a birder a wide variety of birds, including the occasional rare bird. Lakeside Park in Tucson is one of those. It's about 15 minutes from us and an early morning visit yielded some nice photos including the "rare to Arizona" Brown Pelican.

As I was photographing him I couldn't help but say over and over the only limerick I have committed to memory:

A curious bird is the pelican
His beak can hold more than his belican
He can hold in his beak enough food for a week
And I darned if I know how the helican

Oh well, I'm better at photography:

Here's the Brown Pelican as I first saw him

Closer and at a different angle (lighting behind me)

Then off he went -- to go fishing

Here gulping down a fish 

Now fully satisfied.





1 comment:

  1. There was one at Reid Park. They are really fun to watch. I hear they are rounding them up now and sending them over to San Diego. I wonder if this one will be captured and released as well. Nice shots!! Love the flight in that photo.

    ReplyDelete