Sunday, July 29, 2012

Montosa Canyon and the Rare Plain Capped Starthroat

Yesterday, I decided to do something I had never done before. People have been reporting the presence of one or two Plain Capped Starthroat Hummingbirds in Montosa Canyon for over a month. I had gone three previous times looking and only once gotten a glimpse -- including marginal photo taken from quite a distance as he sat on a tree branch.  This last time when I arrived at the culvert on Mt. Hopkins Road in Montosa Canyon I found two gentlemen who had set up a hummingbird feeder. These birders were from Montana and excited about birding in Southern Arizona. I asked one of them who was kind enough to write down his answer (because as you might know I have become essentially deaf). He said there have been two Starthroats hanging around the feeder. So, I was excited and stood by. After a few minutes a hummingbird came to the feeder. The gentlemen said that was one of the Starthroats. He had been so nice I couldn't bare to tell him that it was not a Starthroat, but a female Black Chinned Hummingbird. I knew this because I have gotten close and gotten very good photographs of the Plain Capped Starthroat before.

So, yesterday, I headed out to Montosa Canyon once again, this time with my own Hummingbird Feeder. I put it in the same place as his was, and within 30 seconds there was a male Broad Billed Hummingbird using the feeder. I also took a fold chair, my lunch, water, and of course my camera --- oh, and of course, some insect repellent. It's Monsoon Season here in Southern Arizona which means bugs. Unlike Alaska, whose mosquitos are the size of Texas, the ones here are microscopic, so you don't know that you've been eaten alive until you start getting welts all over your body. Anyway, I sat patiently by for a little over two hours, but no Plain Capped Starthroats. The Broad Billed and his partner, plus one or more female Black Chinned Hummingbirds frequented my feeder. As I said to begin with, I have never done that before, i.e. put up a feeder or use any kind of food to attract birds or animals in the wild. While I didn't get what I went after, it was very peaceful sitting in the wilderness along a stream of running water, enjoying not only the hummingbirds but the many butterflies that show up after rains. That alone was worth the trip.

I did see a nice pair of Western Tanagers although not very close. I'll include a photo of them as well. So, here the's best (?).

Male Broad Billed at my Hummingbird Feeder

Female Broad Billed Hummingbird

I should look this bug up.

What I like about this photo is you get a nice look at the plumage on his back.


A Wildflower I should probably look up as well.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a trooper. I really love this little canyon. What a treat! BUT unfortuneatly, like you did, I went to this spot to find this bird. The agaves are all beginning to bloom and that's also where I searched. But I didn't bring the bug spray. I've been sportin' a billion bug bites all over my legs and arms. It was really a nice day however and saw lots of other things. It's interesting because there have been people who have reported seeing and snapping of shot of "these" Starthroats....but they're not. I've seen them before I started photography and they have a very distinctive look to them. When I went, I saw the female Black Chin you mention, Broad Bills galore, Juvenile Broad Bills, and a female Broad Tail. I like being corrected if I label something wrong while doing wildlife photography but I don't always think the reverse is true. BUT I did get great shots of the Turkey Vultures and Dung Beetles there and a female bunting. The bites will go away and I'll wear jeans next time:) Thanks for your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them and always read them.

      I not only keep bug spray in my car at all times, I keep anti-perspirant too. I learned after years of photographing wildlife in British Columbia and Alberta that the best and quickest way to treat an insect bite was to put anti-persirant on it as soon as possible. It stops the itching and swelling within 30 seconds or so. (The longer you wait the longer it takes, but it truly works.)

      Delete