Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Miller Canyon, Spotted Owls, White Eared Hummingbirds, and Tires

As a wildlife photographer, a four wheel drive vehicle is a must if you want to get into wilderness areas. It's also a good idea to have good off-road tires. As I posted last week (about finding Spotted Owls in Miller Canyon) I noted that floods do quite a lot of damage, especially after fires. Well, between last week when Christine and I went to Miller Canyon and found the Spotted Owls and today, there was more flooding and the road took quite a beating. So, traveling over the road, even with my Jeep was not easy. And, unfortunately, as it turns out one of my tires blew.  I have relied on BF Goodrich 3 ply sidewalls (either Mud or All Terrain) for years. But the tires I have are still the tires that came with the Jeep when I bought it (a Good Year All Terrain). The BF Goodrich is the better choice (off road) and they will be making an appearance again on my Jeep soon.  Changing tires in 95 degree temps is not the way to spend a quite and peaceful day in the wilderness.

But, the news isn't really bad. I got the tire changed and what Christine and I didn't find last week --- the White Eared Hummingbird  --- I found today. So, here are a couple photos of the very beautiful and very rare (to the US) White Eared Hummingbird:

White Eared Hummingbird -- Male

White Eared Hummingbird -- Female

No comments:

Post a Comment