Monday, November 19, 2012

Bighorn Sheep IV

Wild animals will sometimes allow you to take a "portrait" of them. Today's Bighorn actually walked toward me --- in a non-threatening manner  -- which allowed me to get this photo. Unlike yesterday's photo, I wasn't too far from my Jeep so if his temperament changed I felt I could get to safety. Now, I must say that I have had some wonderful experiences with all kinds of wildlife and only a couple of times felt that I was in a potentially dangerous situation. I always am respectful and cautious. So I always try to move slowly and quietly as if to tell the animal: "I know you are there, I'd like to be here too, if that's okay with you." Part of it is "reading" the animal. If there are any signs that it doesn't want you around, you leave. This photo was taken in March of 1997 in the Oak Creek Wildlife Area of Clemon Mountain in the Cascades of Washington.

Bighorn Sheep Ram

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing shot. I love the detail in the horns and the fact it looks like he's smiling.

    ReplyDelete