Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bison

Everyone knows the story of the American Bison (Buffalo) that once roamed throughout the plains states in North America. Today, there are about 500,000 but all but 15,000 are on privately owned ranches. So, only 15,000  are considered free roaming and "wild." Wood Buffalo National Park in Northern Alberta, Yellowstone National Park, and Montana's National Bison Range National Wildlife Refuge are the largest areas today with free roaming Bison. Plans are underway to reintroduce them into Southern Colorado and Northern Montana.

Today's "5" rated photo comes from Montana's National Bison Range. I had been looking for them for two days when I came across this lone Bull standing not far from a creek. I think we were probably the only two mammals within miles. (That's probably not true, but felt true). I walked to within 50 feet or so took a few photos and then headed back to my Jeep to get out of the cold and snow.

 Bison

No comments:

Post a Comment