Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chiricahua Mountains The Flooding

As I mentioned earlier, by noon the first day (Tuesday) it was raining as hard as you can imagine. This continued for two to three hours. Once stopped, I headed back out to find that Cave Creek was 50 to 100 feet wide instead of ten feet wide. The water was rushing through at speeds equal to Niagara Falls. Oh, and the water was black!  As bad as damage is from the fires, it seems worse from the subsequent floods. I have also mentioned before that I am not a landscape photographer. It seems so overwhelming that I don't know where to begin. I'll always remember a Richard Harris song from the early 70's entitled, "Slides". It is an interesting song about his travels which is half spoken and half sung. One of his lines is: "Oh, the Grand Canyon, it is un-photographable at any given point, tis so vast." That is essentially how I feel about landscapes. Anyway, now that I have apologized for my "flood photos," here they are: 

This part of the creek is normally less than 10 feet wide. It appears to be about 100 feet wide.

Here I have arrived after most of the flooding had receded from the road that was part of the creek for a while.

Here the road crew was on a bridge over Cave Creek assessing damage.

This photo was taken from that bridge. The gray on either side of the "white caps" is ash colored water gushing down the creek.
The following two photos are an attempt to show a before and after sequence;

Here is a photo of the Coues White Tail Deer along side Cave Creek the morning before the flood.

Here is the same place after the flood. The grass is gone; the leaves are gone, even the rocks are gone. What is left is ash colored mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment