Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Christopher Columbus Lake

So, now on to Christopher Columbus Lake. This is a typical city park with a lake stocked with fish. There are many picnic tables, horseshoe pit, and other common park amenities. I always see a few "old" (and I use that word kindly now that I am getting old) fishermen who bring their lawn chairs and sit by the lake's edge with their line out in the water. I can't help but to stop and hear a "fish story" or two. They are hoping to catch a nice 14 - 16 inch trout. I don't have the heart to tell them I lived in the Northwest and fished throughout Washington and British Columbia where the "small" ones were 18 inches and the average was 22 inches. I talked with one nice gentleman whom I remember talking with the first time I came to Columbus Lake nine years ago. I think he is there every single morning. It's nice to be retired. 

What was there? Well, there always seem to be a Great Blue Heron or two, and a Great Egret; lots of Great Tailed Grackles; an assortment of ducks and domesticated geese. There was another bird I photographed but can't identify. It's not a great photo. But I would like to know what it is. It is the size and shape of a Robin, but the white on the wings and vent suggests something else. The breast is a "burnt" orange color.  Maybe someone can help with this:


?????
Here are the other photos from Christopher Columbus Lake:


Great Egret

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron

Great Tailed Grackle

No comments:

Post a Comment