Thursday, August 4, 2011

Coatimundi in the Chiricahuas

I went to the Chiricahua's hoping to find Black Bears and Coatimundi. I scored on both counts. I have been very lucky finding Coati's in the Galliuro Mountains (75 miles northwest of the Chiricahua's), but this was the first time finding them in the Chiricahua's. And, luckily it was pretty easy -- one came to me. I was staying at Cave Creek Ranch where the Owner Reed has strategically placed several hummingbird and seed feeders. (It is the best place for hummingbirds in the Chiricahua's.) As I was photographing some of the birds a Coati came "strolling" through:

Here he is climbing a tree to get suet from one of the feeders.
He kept his eye on me, but was pretty intent on that suet.

A nice Close UP


Then down the tree to the ground.

And, another look at me before disappearing into the nearby forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment