Thursday, June 14, 2012

Photo Trip

I started out at 3:15 (am) so that I would get to Sells, Arizona just at dawn (4:45). I have often seen Crested Caracaras between Sells and Why (another small Arizona town) so I was hoping this time would be no different. Although I did see one, it was flying in my direction and I didn't have a chance for a photo. However, I did manage to get a "Sonoran Sunrise" that I liked in the littler town of Quijotoa:



From Why, I turned south and headed into Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument which is just north of the US/Mexico border. The 21 mile drive up around and into the Ajo Mountains is one of my favorite drives in Arizona. Although there are Desert Bighorn Sheep in the Ajo's I have never found them. This time no exception either. But, again found some scenery and some wildlife to photograph:
Organ Pipe Cactus

Organ Pipe Cactus with Blossom

Organ Pipe Cactus with Fruit

An unusual Saguaro with Fruit

Red Tailed Hawk

Harris Antelope Ground Squirrel

Black Tailed Jackrabbit

From Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument I headed up to Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge. Most of Cabeza Prieta is closed from March 15th to July 15th during Sonoran Pronghorn Fawning. Sonoran Pronghorn are endangered -- only a few hundred left so the Refuge has been set aside primarily for them. There are also Desert Bighorn Sheep on the Refuge, but not where they can be seen during closure. I still like the drive through the part that is open.

Tomorrow, the Big News! Imperial National Wildlife Refuge along the Colorado River. Lots of exciting stories to tell.



1 comment:

  1. Nice shots!! I do the same thing. Go to search for something and many times do not see it:) or find it briefly....it's rare to catch something reported in an area....but that never stops me:) Plus everytime I go, I catch something else that wasn't reported...so it's okay:)Love your pics and look forward to your fun at Imperial.

    ReplyDelete