Thursday, June 28, 2012

Saguaro National Park early this morning

Christine and I were up at 4:30 AM and arrived at the Speedway Trailhead to Saguaro National Park at 5:00.  We wanted to hike but not after 11:00 when the temps reach 100 degrees (114 yesterday by 2:00). It's also a good time for finding and photographing wildlife. They aren't around in the middle of a hot summer's day either. 

I wasn't looking for something specific to photograph, so I found lots of things to photograph. First, sunrise:

Sunrise at Saguaro National Park
 Then I looked for an opportunity to photograph the sun as it first appeared over the horizon. This trio of Saguaros provided the perfect setting.

Here Comes the Sun
 Christine loves the variety of Saguaro shapes --- and in particular, those that have died. So, I took this picture at her request:
Saguaro Skeleton
 We often see Black Tailed Jackrabbits and sometimes Antelope Jackrabbits at Saguaro National Park. Of course this time of year when the mesquite pods fall off the mesquite trees we get several at The Azure Gate. I can often get a photo just outside my office.

Black Tailed Jackrabbit
 As we were just finishing up our 3+ mile hike a Coyote crossed our path.
Coyote
 Then, as we were arriving back home, another Coyote. I took several photos, including a couple where he was looking directly at me.  But, this one is the one I liked best:
Coyote at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment