Thursday, August 2, 2012

Buried Treasures -- Fishing

As I have talked about, it was a love of fly fishing that lead me to my wildlife photography. I started fly fishing in 1984 as soon as we arrived in the Northwest. After seeing bear, moose, etc. on my fly fishing trips I decided a camera would be a nice accessory. So, from about 1988 to 1995 I was doing both fly fishing and wildlife photography. But by 1995 (I figured I had caught over 10,000 fish on a fly) I was spending more time with my camera than with my fly rod. In fact, I remember one five day "fishing" trip into British Columbia in 1995 that I never got my fly rod wet. It was then that I realized my love/passion had changed. Now I suppose I have several hundred "fishing" stories that would bore everyone to death, so I will limit my stories to this one post.

If you are serious about fly fishing lakes in Canada a 4x4 vehicle WITH WINCH is a must. (I have a few stories about how I learned that lesson). But, since a picture tells a 1000 words, how about a couple of photos (all photos from British Columbia):

The "road" to Enrst Lake

The road to Frisken Lake
It's not just the mud here, this can be very slippery.

The road to Okay Lake

The Road to Hosli Lake
Yes, I got stuck and needed my winch to pull myself through.

Here I am fishing on Blue Lake

Yes, that's me 18 years ago with a 27 inch Kamloops Rainbow Trout

2 comments:

  1. Fishing stories are never boring. I'm glad you shared your story. Congrats on you new hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you for your comment. As you must know, if you spend a lot of time fishing, there are unusual things that happen to you. 1) when a loon took my fish and got himself caught on my fly line -- for about 15 minutes; or 2) when a fish took my entire line and backing leaving me nothing but an empty spool and a trip to Kamloops for a new line. Felt pretty stupid about that. I made sure I tied the backing onto the spool correctly from then on. 3) then there was the Grizzly Bear story... what a magnificent animal at probably 1200 pounds and 8 feet tall when he stood up. I could have reached out with my 10' rod and tapped him on the shoulder.

      Delete