Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Patience, Persistence, and Luck

I must say that I feel fortunate to have found and photographed 15 different species of Hummingbirds in Arizona. It takes patience, persistence, and most of all luck. The Allen's, Berylline, Calliope, and Plain Capped Starthroat are difficult to find because they don't seem to return to the same place every year. The Violet Crowned is a rare hummer but usually found (with patience) at Patton's in Patagonia. The Lucifer is another rare hummer needing persistence as well as patience, but seems to return, even if infrequently, to Ash Canyon. The White Eared seems to return to Miller Canyon every year. And, the Blue Throat is a frequent visitor to Portal in the Chiricahua Mountains as well as in Miller Canyon. But with the Plain Capped Starthroat you have to watch the Bird Alert lists. Then you drop what you are doing and head out to that location with the "hope" of finding it. Chances? Even with persistence and patience, luck is required. And, it's not just luck finding one. In order to get a good photo you need to be relatively close, have good lighting, and not have any obstructions in your way. Result? Often that's just too many conditions.  I made four trips to Montosa Canyon this summer where the Starthroat was reported. Saw him once it a tree covered up by leaves and branches and at a distance of 75 feet. Not a great photo. Saw one a couple of times in Ash Canyon. But he would zip into the furthest feeder (which was "nestled" in the trees), stay not more than five seconds, and fly way off into the woods. I'll show you a very poor photo so you get the idea:


Plain Capped Starthroat
 Now, I am sure that other people (maybe one in ten) who have gone to Montosa Canyon or Ash Canyon had a little more "luck" and got a good photo. I am sure of this, because occasionally it has happened to me. Here is a photo of a Plain Capped Starthroat I took three years ago at one of the feeders at Patton's in Patagonia:


Plain Capped Starthroat


Now, as if I wasn't already placing too many demands on my photograph, what I really want is a more "natural" photograph, not one on a feeder. Well, this is it -- at least for now:

Plain Capped Starthroat
Never underestimate the value of Luck  --  although luck favors the prepared mind.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who went to Montosa several times or to Mary Jo's as well to search for these hummers! I have been going crazy to find them. Love your shots here and you should feel proud that you've captured this guy. The Rare Bird Alert indeed....that's all I do while I'm at work....on breaks I check and my hopes are brightened by a sighting. Then I go on a weekend, etc and wait and wait....chiggers abound....and ouch!!! I leave. Starthroat shows up. But the good news is that I have found the Lucifer, Blue Throat and Violet Crowned. Easy. The other ones are elusive. I may be able to capture the Starthroat in Mexico this fall....but we shall see. Thanks for your words of wisdom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your comments. Thank you. I check the Arizona/New Mexico list daily (http://birding.aba.org) --- I hate to admit it, but sometimes twice or even three times a day. That doesn't mean I go out daily -- I too have other work to do. But, I am always interested in what people are finding, and what the possibilities are. Truth be told, the harder it is to find one of these rarities, the more satisfying and rewarding it is when you do. Dennis

      Delete