Thursday, August 9, 2012

More Hoh plus some Rainier

Yesterday I posted about the Hoh Rain Forest. And as I looked at the result, I felt that I was unable to  capture the magnificence of the whole Hoh experience. So, maybe one more photo which might help put the yesterday's photo into perspective: (remember you can click on a photo to enlarge)

That's Christine sitting at the base of one of the trees.

Also, Christine mentioned that in my post I talked about the 1032 inch snowfall on Mount Rainer in 1998/99, but didn't show any photos. So, with Christine's help I found a couple prints in some old photo albums that were stashed away in a bookcase up in her studio:

Again Christine, but this time on the road up to Mount Rainier
 The road to Mount Rainier ends in an area called Paradise. At 5,400 feet it is still quite a distance to the 14,410 peak, but there is a Visitor's Center. The National Park Service tries to keep the road to Paradise open during the winter  -- even though Paradise gets up to 1000 inches of snow each year. In the photo below you'll see our truck (yes, we do have a winch on the front) sitting outside the Visitor's Center. The large silver drainpipe in front of the truck is the passageway into the Visitor's Center.
Paradise Visitor's Center, Mount Rainier

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of snow!!! I understand what you write. I have those moments as well.....did I capture the moment effectively for more readers? Your shots are great. But I do understand the thinking behind your first thoughts of this post. Sometimes I have to go back to the place and get those other shots I missed the first time around:)

    ReplyDelete