Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Buried Treasures -- Ice Climbing

There is not a big "Ice Climbing" following here in Southern Arizona. Not sure there's much anywhere in Arizona for that matter. But, here's the story:

I was traveling in the Canadian Rockies, looking up on the mountain cliffs specifically for Mountain Goats. On one occasion I saw this frozen waterfall with ice that looked blue. I thought to myself that it might make a nice photo. So, I got out my tripod and was focusing in on the waterfall when I noticed a black looking "spec" on the ice. I got out my binoculars and was surprised -- if not dumbfounded -- that it was a person climbing the ice.  

You can see -- or, maybe not see  -- what I saw in the first photo:
(You might get a better view by clicking on the photo).


Ice Climber just to the left of the tall pine tree in the lower right portion of the icefall.

Using my Super Telephoto Lens I got the following photo:

Close-Up of the same Climber

15 or 20 minutes later, and further down the Icefields Parkway, I came across another "Icefall" and another Ice Climber:

The Ice Climber had made it to the top of the ridge just below the top of the Icefall

Close-Up of the same Climber

Now, I have to say that I know next to nothing about Ice Climbing. But it looks to me more dangerous than mountain climbing. It also looks pretty cold. But, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment