Friday, August 17, 2012

Pairs of Two: Three

Today, pairs of Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep. 

But first, I should say that there are wildlife "farms" or "ranches" where wild animals roam within fences. Photographers are invited (for a fee) to come and photograph the "wildlife." In some cases the animals are "trained" to pose for a photo. One such ranch in Montana has trained wolves to go up to the top of a mound and howl at sunsets for a photo. Cost, $300-$400. That is not me, nor any of my photos.  All of my animal photos are from the wild – no zoos, no wildlife “farms” or ranches – no remote motion-sensor cameras, no tracking dogs, no electronic tracking devices, no “traps,” just simply photographed as predator and/or prey as found naturally  in the wild.   Photos are untouched and appear as seen through the lens.

I say this because my first photo of the Mountain Goats seems posed. The story behind the photo is that I was driving up Mount Evans in Colorado, and at about 13,000 feet saw 40 or so Mountain Goats in a meadow on the tundra. I pulled off to the side of the road and slowly walked down the hillside to the meadow. I got to within 30 yards from the Mountain Goats and just sat down. I took photos and watched them for about an hour and 15 minutes. During that time these two "kids" walked over to the ledge (a drop of several thousand feet) and stopped on a rock. Snap, this was the photo:


Mountain Goat kiddies at 13,000 feet


Bighorn Sheep Ewe feeding her lamb






1 comment:

  1. That's why I like your pictures. They are always beautiful and I know that you both snap only the real deal:) And those are the best kind anyway:) Have a good weekend. We are prepping for a Aravaipa Canyon trip this fall and I hope to capture the Bighorn Sheep out in the wild. It looks like a beautiful area:)

    ReplyDelete