Friday, January 8, 2010

American Marten



Wildlife photography is sometimes a matter of seconds. Rarely with a second chance. I was in Wells Gray, British Columbia early one morning. Wells Gray is a marvelous place. It is over 1.3 million acres, which is more than twice the size of Rhode Island. 90 percent of Wells Gray can be accessed only by foot or boat. We are talking wilderness here. I was driving along its only road to a trail head I like to take (great moose and bear country). And I came across an American Marten, which of course I startled. He was by the side of the road but ran into the woods when he saw me. Why couldn't I have gotten to that spot ten seconds earlier? Nonetheless, I stopped where I had seen him, looking into the woods wondering where he went. Should I get out and go look for him -- or, is he long gone. Then while I am still debating with myself, out of the woods he came to pick up the squirrel that he had caught but dropped when he saw me. A second chance! And, I was ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment