Monday, January 11, 2010

Mushrooms can be fun, not just eaten



We are still at Wells Gray in British Columbia for another day. I think it is important for a wildlife photographer to be willing to cherish the "little things." There are many days that you look for the large mammals without luck, and as a result become disappointed. And yet, you may have passed up many opportunities to be creative and have fun nonetheless. Mushrooms are a good example of that. I wasn't out looking for mushrooms to photograph. I was looking for bear and moose. Yet, something caught my eye with this mushroom.  Maybe it looks like a father, mother, and baby. Maybe its because the little one seems protected by the larger ones. Maybe it is because they seem vulnerable and alone in the woods. Maybe its the unique shape that looks like a closed umbrella. We all see things from different perspectives and process what we see in different ways. (I suspect that's what creates the political climate we're in). And, while it may be that some people will look at this photo and not give it a second thought, some might really see it like I do, and appreciate its natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment