Thursday, January 14, 2010

River on Fire



I am not a "landscape" photographer. I find most landscapes un-photographable. This first occurred to me when I was at the Grand Canyon. Like 5 million other people who were at the Grand Canyon that year, I had my camera and was trying to figure out how to take a photo that could capture the magnificently visual image I was experiencing first hand. Actually, I am not even sure that the human eye can comprehend the expansiveness, depth, and color of the Grand Canyon. The analyst inside of me figured that if 50% of the people visiting the Grand Canyon brought a camera and took an average 20 photos, that would be 50 million photos per year. That means that in the last 50 years, over 2 billion photos have been taken of the Grand Canyon. What is the likelihood of my being able to take the "quintessential" photo? That doesn't mean I don't appreciate landscapes, I certainly do. And it doesn't mean I never take a landscape photo. Case in point: I was traveling over the Canadian Continental Divide when this view took my breath away. I quickly set up the tripod and took this photo, which did win an award. But, while it might give you an idea of what I was excited about, it just doesn't compare to the real thing. I think, "I didn't really capture anything, most of it got away." On the other hand, the photo does remind me of the experience, and for that reason alone it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment