Friday, January 22, 2010

From Eeyore to Ferdinand



Sticking with the wintery theme for another day. The National Bison Range was established in 1908  as part of the National Wildlife Refuge System. It is 25,000 acres in the Moiese Mountains of Western Montana. There is but one road through the refuge, Red Sleep Mountain Drive. It is closed in the winter and at other times when poor weather warrants. I was there one winter searching for any of 500 or so bison present on the refuge and not having much luck. Discouraged, but persistent I finally came up and over a bend, and there he was in all magnificence standing about 75 yards away. One lonely bull. No other bison in sight. Although, most bison seem to be more like Ferdinand, I still approach as I would any wild and dangerous animal. That means very slowly, and diagonally, until I get the angle I want. Every once in a while we would look at each other, and eventually, snap, I had my photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment