Wednesday, February 3, 2010

As Inspector Clouseau, would say: "The Mystery is Sol-Ved."


From time to time a dove or a sparrow -- once even a quail -- slam into one of our windows. Maybe a third die from a broken neck (sorry to say). But, one morning I heard a much louder crash out side my office, but no sign of anything. A day or two later Christine heard the same thing outside the kitchen window. A day later once again outside my office came this big crash. This time I saw a Cooper's Hawk fly away. I thought I would hate to have one of those beautiful hawks die from such an "accident." But, the next day the mystery was solved. I was looking out the window watching doves eat seed that had been spilled from the bird feeder above when I saw a Cooper's Hawk dart down pick up the dove and deliberately smash the dove into the window killing the dove instantly. The Cooper's Hawk then flew away with his catch to a nearby tree and spent the next hour plucking feathers and eating. The term "birdbrain" may work for some birds, like doves and quail (which is another story) but for some they are quite ingenious.

No comments:

Post a Comment