Sunday, February 28, 2010

Senegal Parrot in Tucson?


I was eating my lunch by the pool today watching all the birds, and thinking what a life. And I was thinking about all of the birds and animals that have passed our way. Animals like Kitt Fox and Desert Gray Fox, Javelinas, Bobcats, Coyotes, 10 different kinds of snakes and as many different kinds of lizards including the gila monster; and birds like wild turkeys, roadrunners, and Senegal Parrots. WHAT?? Senegal Parrot? Aren't they only found in Africa? Well, natively, yes. But, sure enough I remember eating lunch one day by the pool and seeing this very unique looking bird. Looked like a parrot, in fact. Went and got my camera first. Took this picture of him sitting on the end of an outdoor bench. Then had to go on line to figure out what it was, since it wasn't in any of my North America bird books. He hung around for a while. I tried to get close to see if he was friendly and I could "catch" him. (Hoping then to find someone who may have "owned" him as a pet). There's a very good Tucson Animal Rescue Center here that could have cared for it. But, it wasn't to be. He flew away moments later.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful bird, reminds me of the wild parrots of telegraph hill -- http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/

    I just wanted to let you and Christine know that I was on tripadvisor.com today, and i looked up the azure gate to reminisce a bit, and I am happy to report that you are #1 for Tucson bed & breakfasts! I believe The Azure Gate was #17 when i was researching for our trip last spring. Congrats to you both, you deserve it!! We would love to come back to to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete