Sunday, February 21, 2010

Utah Bighorn Sheep


I guess I'm taking you on a state by state tour of bighorn sheep. The Flaming Gorge National Wildlife Recreation Area is a scenic drive through Southern Wyoming along the Green River and then into Northeastern Utah and the Flaming Gorge Reservoir. The list of wildlife is extensive, including moose, elk, bighorn sheep, pronghorn, and mule deer. The most southern end extends into Ashley National Forest. I spent a day traveling the back roads of the Utah portion of Flaming Gorge. And along the Sheep Creek Geological Loop came across these three bighorn rams. It was a momentary encounter, as soon they fled up the mountain. All three were much lighter in color than others I have seen and photographed. At the time I thought they might be a subspecies. But, no. They are Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, which is the largest and most populated of the bighorns in the US and Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment