Monday, February 22, 2010

Montana Bighorn Sheep


The National Bison Range in Western Montana is a favorite place to visit for me. It is another of Teddy Roosevelt's National Wildlife Refuges established in 1908 with the first Congressional allocation of funds . So, it is one of the oldest NWR in the US.  It's main attraction is about 500 Bison (which I have shown you before). It also is a fairly reliable place to find large White Tail, Mule Deer, Elk, and Bighorn Sheep. And, while there is a fair Mountain Goat and Black Bear population I have not been lucky in that regard. Not that I haven't spend many an hour looking for them. But, that is the "nature" of wildlife photography. One summer I was hiking up over this mountain looking for Mountain Goats, and came across this lazy Bighorn Ram. He didn't seem much bothered by me. And, I soon forgot that I was looking for goats, and sat in the grass about 20 yards away as content as he was. Those are the days that renew the spirit -- clean the cobwebs, forget the troubles, and bring joy and peace into your life. A few precious minutes and a lifetime of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment