Saturday, February 13, 2010

Some Like It Hot, Some Like It Cold


Winter is a great season for us in Southern Arizona. People ready, willing, and able to escape from the cold to a warmer climate -- even, for a few days. (Airplanes not always able to cooperate, though). Our daughter Erin, in Flagstaff, has been "snowed in" for a month with over five feet of snow. Flagstaff is in Arizona mind you. I suppose I could show you photos of grandkids Noah and Ruby all bundled up and playing in the snow, but even though they are "wild" at times, probably isn't what followers of our "wildlife" blog are looking for. So, I'll talk about "other" wild animals that just seem to fit or, at least, look more comfortable and natural in the snow. This older bighorn sheep ram was photographed high above the Columbia Icefields in Alberta (Sunwapta Mountain). He was curious about me, but didn't seem particularly bothered. Maybe he thought I looked too "cold" to be of any danger. Often hoofed animals "herd" up for the winter months. This includes males -- sometimes. Not this time, though. This big ram was all by himself. Didn't see another bighorn anywhere near him. It always reminds me of the big male bison I photographed at the National Bison Range in Montana (Blog Post: From Eeyore to Ferdinand, January 22, 2010). He had that same sense of "regal-ness." "I'm too wise to be bothered."

No comments:

Post a Comment