Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sea Ducks: or at least of few of them

Today, my pitiful collection of Sea Ducks. First, I should say that according to some experts, the Mergansers, Goldeneyes, and Buffleheads fall in this category. The Goldeneyes and Bufflehead I have shown you already under the category of Diving Ducks. The Mergansers are on tap for tomorrow.  Although the Goldeneyes, Mergansers, and Buffleheads have many of the physical characteristics of Sea Ducks, they are mostly found on inland waterways, hence my treating those ducks with the other diving ducks. The Sea Ducks I am going to show you today are almost exclusively found in the sea (which is why my collection is rather pitiful). Missing are the Common, King, Spectacled, and Steller's Eider. 

Harlequin Duck
photo taken at the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Washington

Old Squaw or Long Tail Duck
Photo taken Gray's Harbour, Washington

Surf Scoter
photo taken on Puget Sound, Washington

White Winged Scoter
photo taken on Puget Sound, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment