Thursday, December 2, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part XI

One of my first Bear stories, going back almost 20 years, came when I was still an avid fly fisherman. About an hour and a half west of Kamloops, British Columbia is Island Lake (also called the Big Okay Lake). Island lake was situated in the mountains behind the Highland Valley Copper Mine (one of the world's largest). It just occurred to me that I used to have a photo of my truck -- a pretty good sized truck  -- in front of one of those gigantic dump trucks they use for hauling rock etc. The tires on the dump truck were taller than my truck. I wonder whatever happened to that photo? Oh well. Anyway, Island Lake is a "trophy lake" monster trout of 3 to 10 pounds. I was leaving the lake after another successful day fishing when I came across this (brown) Black Bear. He was eating wildflowers and such. While this was before cellphones, I had a phone installed in my truck. After two 10 plus mile walks to a phone to call a tow truck I decided having a phone might be a good idea. Okay, back to the story. I decided to call Christine while I was watching the Bear. Because she was home I was able to describe to her the entire story as the story was still unfolding. Eventually, the Bear walked off:

No comments:

Post a Comment