Thursday, December 30, 2010

HOOFED MAMMALS: Moose Stories-VI

Looking through all my Moose photos, I realize that I have over the past two years shared most of the my moose stories with you. We have guests (who have become friends) who stay with us each year around this time. He is a "big game hunter" and this past summer took his wife with him to the Yukon in search of Moose and Caribou. Now, I have never understood hunting Moose. Once you find them they are relatively easy to shoot -- either camera or gun. But, as his wife explained, it is the best tasting meat "in the world." So, I have a better appreciation for hunting Moose, now. Still, they are a magnificent animal. Now, if you having been following my blog you already know this.  One of my favorite places is the Columbia Icefield in Alberta. So, here comes another story from the Icefield. One summer I was driving along the Icefield and there in the wide open spaces was a Bull Moose. He was casually, but purposely walking right down the middle of the Icefield. I pulled over to the side of the road and parked; then walked parallel to the Bull for nearly two miles until he turned and went into the forest. He never stopped once and never looked at me (of course Moose don't have great eyesight so he may not of even know I was there). As is my "policy" I did not try to walk closer to him because there were other people present. It also seemed that he was on a "mission" and I didn't want to disturb him. It was a great walk! Here he is:



No comments:

Post a Comment