Thursday, December 23, 2010

HOOFED MAMMALS: Moose Stories

I love this story. Probably means more to me, but .... It was one of my first photo trips into Alberta, Canada, probably 1995 or so. On the way I stopped at Wells Gray in British Columbia. Oh, by the way I should say in was January and the temperature was minus 10 degress F. I slept in the back of my truck where I had made a bed. When I woke up in the morning I tried to brush my teeth but found the toothpaste completely frozen. In fact, everything was completely frozen ----- except what was in my ice chest!!!! After that, I started putting things like toothpaste in my ice chest. Anyway, on to Alberta. I was not having a great deal of luck finding anything. Of course, Grizzly Bears are hibernating, Black Bears asleep in their dens, so I am looking for Bighorn Sheep, Caribou, Moose, and Elk. I was driving up to Maligne Lake (Jasper National Park) and as I was looking through the trees that lined the road I saw a brown spot in the middle of a snow covered meadow. I pulled over and walked through the trees and it was a female Moose just lying in the snow.  I trudged through about two feet of snow taking a photo every four or five steps (thinking that might be the last photo before seeing her "backside.") When I got to about 30 feet I stopped and sat down in the snow and took several photos. This was before digital so I was a little more judicious with my shot selection. Then I just sat and admired her beauty. I had never been this close to a Moose. Her coat around her shoulders looked like sable, absolutely gorgeous -- not, a descriptive term I have ever her before -- or, again relative to Moose. But, to me: gorgeous:


No comments:

Post a Comment