Monday, December 27, 2010

HOOFED MAMMALS: Moose Stories-III

I am going to take you back to Jasper National Park in Alberta and Maligne Lake -- well, sort of. Maligne Lake sits at the end of, what else, Maligne Road. From there, a trail ends up at Moose Lake. On one of my trips I had not had any luck finding Moose along Maligne Road. So, I thought, "Well, they all must be at Moose Lake." Why else would they call it Moose Lake? So, I hiked up the trail, got to the top of the hill and there was Moose Lake right in front of me. There also was a Moose right in front of me. I was already so close, that I just sat down and watched as she ate the aquatic vegetation along the lake's edge. She wasn't bothered by me and kept working her way along the lakeside. Finally, she was no more than 20 feet away. (I am still sitting just where I was when I first saw her). What a treat! Here are a few photos:

The above photo was taken when I first saw her.

This photo was taken after she had worked her way around to the very front of me.

Then finally, in the above photo, she had passed, but still content on eating while I was watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment