Friday, December 3, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part XII

Black Bears should always -- at all times -- be respected. Sometimes they will run away; sometimes walk away; sometimes continue to eat whatever and whereever they are eating; and sometimes run up a tree. Now, when I say "run up a tree" I mean it literally. The first time I saw this behavior was in British Columbia, somewhere around Little Fort. I saw a Bear cross the road a couple hundred yards away. So, I stopped and hiked in a bit where he crossed. He had not strayed too far from the road so I could see him within a hundred yards or so. I made a little noise so that he knew I was there and he scampered up a tree in a flash. I never would have thought a Bear could get up a tree so fast. Wonderful sight. Wonderful lesson. I took a couple of photos and then left him. It seemed the appropriate thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment