Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Break from Nesting: Butterflies

I'll come back to Nests in a couple of days. In the meantime, another trip to The Tucson Botanical Garden produced some wonderful butterfly photos. I'll start today actually with two moths:

The African Moon Moth is, well, from Africa -- east coast of South Africa. It is a beautiful looking moth with a very long stringy tail; spots that look like eyes; and, well, it looks more like a "kite" than an animal:

African Moon Moth

The Atlas Moth found in Southeast Asia, is considered the largest moth in the world with a wingspan of 10 inches and wing surface of 62 square inches. In India, they are cultivated for their silk.

Atlas Moth

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures!! I'm glad you found the luna moth at the exhibit. Great shots. I was there this past weekend and my lense got all fogged up for a few minutes:) Very steamy inside that building. That's a gorgeous shot of the Atlas Moth!

    ReplyDelete