Friday, January 13, 2012

Patience is a Virtue, Luck? That's Even Better.

I have been asked many times about the patience required to be a wildlife photographer. It's true. I spent five hours in 2010 standing and waiting for a Moose family that was 300 yards away, hoping to get close enough for a photo. I didn't know whether they would get even 10 feet closer let alone 275 yards I wanted. (They did, and I got some wonderful photos). On the other hand I have made many trips to places with high concentration of Mountain Lions specifically to get a photo. Other than a few photos of paw prints, no luck. I've made 6 trips to the White Mountains in Arizona looking for any of the 40 or so Mexican Gray Wolves that live there. No luck yet. I've spent a total of 10 days in the Florida Mountains of Southwestern New Mexico looking for Persion Ibexes. Other than seeing one through a spotting scope, no photos, no luck. 

I just came back from my third trip to San Rafael Valley in Arizona looking for Short Eared Owls and Rough Legged Hawks that have been reported there over the last few weeks. Altogether, about 10 hours looking. No luck. My trip yesterday -- a 300 mile, 10 hour journey produced all of three photos - only one of which I am willing to show anyone. It is a Savannah Sparrow. (Click on the photo to enlarge.) I love the color of the background and the detail of the plumage. It's not at all a "rare bird" but it is a nice photo:

Savannah Sparrow: Rafael Valley, Arizona

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this. There are time I feel like I'm the only one out there who fails the mission:) Well, I will say that I go without any expectations, but sometimes that isn't true:) Today in Buenos Aries Wildlife Refuge I was hoping to get the pronghorn herd but instead got an owl and other birds.....which is fine, but it is all a lot of fun:) And the exercise is good as well!

    ReplyDelete