Saturday, January 7, 2012

Whitewater Draw Revisited


Yesterday I headed out to Whitewater Draw hoping to find some Barn Owls in their nesting area. Then, of course, the Sandhill Cranes should be there in big numbers by now. Well, no Barn Owls. Not sure why they haven't shown up the last two years. It was just four years ago that there were 25 - 30 of them. And, there were only a couple thousand Sandhill Cranes. The count two years ago was 42,000. I didn't hear a count for last year. But even those that were here this time were much too far for a good photo. So, I was about to leave when I saw a Virginia Rail dabbing in the weeds right by the trail. As I was quietly and carefully getting into position for a good photo I noticed an American Bittern. It's funny how disappointment can turn into excitement in the blink of an eye. So, today the Virginia Rail, and tomorrow the Bittern. 






1 comment:

  1. I am planning on going tomorrow. I found a barn owl today in Buenos Aires. There were two and that was pretty exciting. Beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete