Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nests - Part IV

Some nests aren't obvious and can only be found by seeing a bird go into the nest.  The Elegant Trogon is a migratory bird that arrives in the Madrean Sky Islands of Southern Arizona in March and April. Males begin looking for a female on arrival and usually nest by the end of Spring. They stay here until September or so, then head back to South for the winter. 

I remember hiking along Cave Creek in the Chiricahua Mountains looking for Elegant Trogons. They are most easily found by following their "call." Their call is a very distinctive "bark", like a seal. Four to six very loud bursts. One April I followed the barking until I saw a flash of red disappear in the hole of a Sycamore Tree. I parked myself about 25 feet away and waited. I was rewarded with both male and female poking their heads out of the nest:

Male Elegant Trogon in nest of Sycamore Tree, Chiricahua Mountains

Female Elegant Trogon in same nest, Chiricahua Mountains

Male Elegant Trogon in Gardener Canyon (Huachuca Mountains)

Male Elegant Trogon near Patagonia Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment