Friday, January 20, 2012

Nests - Part II

There are people who love photography and take photos of anything that strikes them as worth a photo. Most "photographers" have a specialty: Portrait, Landscape, Architecture, Industrial, Wildlife, etc. But each category can have it's own specialties. The Portrait Photographer can specialize in Weddings for example. For the Wildlife Photographer it might be flowers, plants, butterflies, birds, or animals. Even within those categories there can be further "specialization." Nests, for example. What I realized in starting this Blog Topic is that I never really thought of "Nests" as a category.  So, while I have many "nest photos" to show, there are many that I have deleted over the years because they didn't rise to my ever-changing standard of "quality." Case in point, I was looking for my Great Blue Heron and Great Egret "Rookery" photos. Nope, couldn't find them. They nest in the tops of very tall trees near wetlands -- or some water source that provides food. Some rookeries are shared by both the Herons and Egrets.  The Egrets nest first (February or March)  followed by the Herons three or four weeks after the Egrets leave their nests. It really is quite a sight since the average rookery contains 150 or more nests. I have found and photographed rookeries in Washington, British Columbia, Oregon, and Arizona, but I can't find a single photo. So, I am going to make it a point to increase my "nest portfolio". In the meantime, there are some woodpecker nests to share:

Acorn Woodpecker

Gila Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment