Monday, May 17, 2010

Holes, Rocks, and Trees

 HOLES: The first photo is the Desert Kingsnake. This is the most common snake we have on the property. I startled one last week watering a potted flower. I was not paying much attention and as soon as I put the hose in the pot out jumped this five foot Desert Kingsnake. The Desert Kingsnake lives in holes typically dug by Harris Antelope or Round Tail Ground Squirrels -- of which there are many. ROCKS: The second photo is a Sonoran Mountain Kingsnake (5,000 ft). We were picnicking in Madera Canyon (about an hour's drive from us) when this guy crawled out from between some rocks.  I always try to be prepared for these momentary pleasures, so this was the first of several photos. TREES: Yes, snakes like trees, too. The third photo is the Sonoran Coachwhip. I was driving north past Mescal, AZ to get to the East side of the Rincon Mountains (again about one hour's drive). The Rincon Mountains is where Saguaro National Park is, although access is almost always from the West side. As I was driving I saw this snake "sunbathing" in the middle of the (dirt) road. I stopped, got my camera and he decided that was enough sunbathing and took off so fast I only knew what direction he went. I kept looking around on the ground for him but couldn't find him. So, I turned to go back to my Jeep and saw him in the tree "sliding" through the branches like this was his natural habitat. (Which, later I found out was the case). He was a good eight or nine feet long and completely "pink" in color. Here I was in the desert and seeing something from the Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment