Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Saucy Cactus Wren

Cactus Wrens are quite common, though not abundant like quail, doves, goldfinches, and sparrows. They are usually solitary or in pairs. They seem to be explorers, checking out every crack or crevice for bugs. Occasionally they will jump up on the window or on the bird seed container (outside my office) and look in at me sitting at my desk. A couple of weeks ago I left the office door open for about two minutes and when I came back a Cactus Wren was checking my office for bugs. Cactus Wrens build their nests in various cholla cacti. You can watch for hours as they painstakingly fetch the perfect twig to build their nest. You wonder in amazement how they aren't skewered in the process. The first and third photos above are Cactus Wrens perched on the end of a dead cholla. The middle photo is a young Cactus Wren waiting for her mother to bring her some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment