Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise


So there I was just finishing yesterday's blog about snakes. I walked out to get the morning newspaper, going through a little wooden gate. I got the newspaper and came back and there fast asleep in the middle of the gate was a baby rattlesnake. I obviously did not see him when I went through the gate. I must have stepped right over him (that's a scary thought). I'm glad I didn't step on him. He was all curled up and still asleep. Coiled up he was about the size of a fist. Without a doubt the smallest rattlesnake I have ever seen.  I went around (via the driveway) got my camera and came back and took this photo. There wasn't good lighting and I didn't want to disturb him, so this is the best I could get. You can see his arrow-shaped head pointing toward the upper left corner of the photo. Eyes are closed though. I went back after breakfast to check and see if he was gone -- and, he was. It's exciting when the desert provides us with these little surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment