Saturday, May 22, 2010

last of the Snakes (for now)


Back to the snakes for one last day. Three years ago I was in the Florida Mountains in Southwestern New Mexico (about three hours from us). I was looking for Ibex,  wild goats from the middle east that were brought to New Mexico and released in the 1950's. Their population now ranges from 400 to 600, all in the Florida Mountains, south of Deming. They are extremely difficult to find and get close to. I saw one through a spotting scope but that was all. Anyway, as I was looking I came across two snakes. The first was a Western Coachwhip (first photo), the second was a Western Hognose Snake (second photo). The third photo is a large Western Diamondback Rattlesnake I came across as I was hiking in Saguaro National Park. He was sleeping in the middle of the trail. Just a reminder to always watch were you walk when hiking in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment