Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Javelinas Pay Us a Visit

Just as I was working on the next series of lizards, I got interrupted by ten Javelinas. You can see seven of them in the first photo. The second photo shows one sniffing around for the next entree. The third photo shows one eating the flowers of the Prickly Pear Cactus. And, the last photo shows the after lunch siesta. Male Javelinas weigh about 60 pounds, so it is a good idea to walk quietly -- actually be quiet -- and, with no sudden movements. They were around for about 30 minutes. Our guests were able to come out to see and take photos. It is interesting. A month ago I planted 15 Mission Cactus (Indian Fig Cactus) pads. A week ago the Javelinas came around at night, long after everyone was asleep and dug up and ate everyone I planted. Mission cactus are similar to Prickly Pear Cactus but grow much taller and have bigger pads. But, they also don't have thorns like other Prickly Pear varieties. I suspect that makes them easier to eat. I guess the Javelinas were around today to see if I planted more. There were only some scraps leftover, but they seemed content to eat the Prickly Pear flowers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment