Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cameron Pass, Colorado

There are six different species of Moose found around the world. The Alaskan subspecies is the largest with the males averaging 1500 pounds. It is the second largest land animal in North America (2nd to the Bison). The Shiras Moose of the Rocky Mountains (and Cascades) is the smallest of the Moose (a paltry 1250 pounds), yet when you see an adult Shiras Bull Moose up close you can appreciate the fact that they all are quite large. The Eastern Species is found in Northeast US and Canada. The Western Moose is found in parts of Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. The European species is found in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. Moose love shallow ponds where they can dine on submerged vegetation. But they also love oak brush, willow, and birch. They need to eat about 70 pounds of vegetation per day, so once you find them eating, there should be a decent photo op if you can get a close enough and unobstructed view.

I have found Moose before in an area near Cameron Pass (10,278 feet) where there is plenty of willow bushes. So, I left my luxurious (said with a smirk) motel in Walden to be at the precise spot just before dawn. That way I can see whether Moose are present or not. If so, I wait til dawn. If not, I go to another spot hoping to be there by dawn. But, this time I was in luck. I could see a large Bull so I waited. Once it got light enough for my camera to take a photo (at ASA 3200 equivalent) I noticed three Bulls, one Cow, and the smallest Moose Calf I have ever seen:

I love that the Lupine was so plentiful. It provided wonderful color.

Calf with Dad


Calf with both Mom and Dad

Quite surprising I was the only one there taking photos. I would have expected carloads of people. But nope. Just me. I just sat on the roadside bank and snapped away. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment