Friday, August 20, 2010

Raptors: Part IX

Starting the hawks, we begin with the Cooper's and Sharp Shinned Hawks. Distinguishing between these two Accipters is a challenge. Even as I show them to you, I have to pull out the identification books to make sure I have them right. And, even then it is hard to tell from the photos themselves. The only reason I know, is because I saw them and one was much larger than the other. Both are long tailed and short winged so they can fly through trees and dense forests to capture small birds in flight. We have both species here year round. Whenever I look outside and don't see a goldfinch, sparrow, quail, or dove, I suspect one of these two is or has been around. To put their size in perspective, the Condor weighs about 23 pounds, a Bald Eagle 10 pounds, a Red Tail Hawk 3 pounds, the Cooper's Hawk 1 pound, and the Sharp Shinned Hawk about 5 ounces. Both photos were taken here at The Azure Gate.

Cooper's Hawk


Sharp Shinned Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment