Sunday, August 8, 2010

Rocky Mountain National Park: Part II

Once the Big Show seemed to be over, I continued into the park seeing another Moose (cow) running from one willow bush to another:

As I started up the road getting near the 10,000 foot mark it started raining pretty hard. So, I decided to head back to Granby to the motel and sort through, delete photos, and charge the batteries. On the way back saw a small herd of Elk in the woods. There were a couple of fawns, but it was raining hard and dark, and with trees in the way just not a good photo to be found.

I went back out early the next morning and found a Moose with her Calf. She let me get pretty close (walking through very wet brush). But, there they were:

Also found a nice large herd of Elk down by the river. Here is one of those shots:

Found another Female Moose deep into the willows, so left her alone. Then found a Bull and Cow in an area (you must hike to) where I had seen Moose before. It was raining again. I found myself unable to get to an angle close enough for a good photo. Lots of water knee deep.  I did take photos, some of which turned out okay. But, nothing really great. They lay down under cover, and I checked back at several intervals for an hour and a half but they hadn't budged.  The best photo was this one:
The female is actually underneath the large fir tree; the male behind the small fir in the middle. Can't see them in the photo. But, actually, I like the photo without the Moose to distract.

All in all a very good -- if not wet couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment