Monday, August 2, 2010

Mount Evans, Colorado

I have missed Mountain Goats. Estimates set the lower 48 population at about 12,000 animals, mostly in the Cascade and Rocky Mountain ranges (some in the Olympic Mountains of Washington as well). Since they like rugged peaks and cold weather finding them is a bit of a chore. Weather and road conditions (closures) are always a consideration. And, in most cases there are no roads to where they live. Mount Evans' claim to fame is that it has the highest paved road in the world: 14,138 feet. You can hike another couple hundred feet up to the very top. It is not a road for the weak of heart, though.  Once you pass the timberline at 10,000 feet you can see forever: forever out and forever down. The advantage for the wildlife photographer is, that if there are Mountain Goats or Bighorn Sheep around you can find them. Now, of course they are not always around. They could be a couple of mountain peaks over, or on a side of the mountain you can't see. This was my fifth trip to the top and I had not seen them yet. However, as I passed the 13,000 foot mark, down in the meadow between peaks were 50 (yes 50) Mountain Goats. It's not easy to get 50 wandering Mountain Goats in a single frame and still be able to see them without a magnifying glass. Here is a photo with 12:

Once I saw them, I pulled the Jeep off the road (fortunately it was the inside part of the road), and hiked down into the meadow where they were grazing. I might point out that this requires slow serpentine walking so that the Mountain Goats aren't spooked. It's downhill and rocky terrain so it requires careful walking anyway. After about 15 minutes I got where I wanted to be to take photos. I sat on a rock just watching -- with an occasional photo. I was alone with 50 Mountain Goats. It was heaven. And, at that height heaven is literally pretty close. What I love about Mountain Goats is that they are so majestic with their beautiful snow white coats that can stand temperatures of minus 50 degrees;  broad shoulders; and ability to walk on cliffs with 75 degree angles.  Of course, this time of the year they shed their coats so they, unfortunately, don't look quite as beautiful:
But, the wonderful news is that this time of year the Kids are only a month or so old and they are darling:




What an exhilarating day. My legs where shaking for another hour after leaving the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment