Sunday, August 1, 2010

I'm Ba - ack!

Here I am sitting at my desk 2900+ miles in seven days later. My journey was to Northern Colorado in search of Mountain Goats, Bighorn Sheep, Moose, and maybe a bear or two. If there is any drama in my blog, I'll answer the question up front. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and a couple of surprises. I'll start with a teaser, then tell you about my adventure.
Mountain Goat Kiddies at 13,000 feet on Mount Evans
I am far less inclined to camp anymore. I remember once pulling into Yellowstone late at night and trying to pitch a tent in the dark and pouring rain. By the time it was set up, the inside of the tent was as wet as the outside -- and I was even wetter. Another time I was flyfishing in Central Oregon. I had been out all day in the rain only to return to a tent, that unbeknown to me, had a leak directly over my sleeping bag. But I also find that I need to be in a certain spot just prior to dawn and until dark. That's when the best photo ops are. I also need to be flexible in moving from one location to another depending on what -- or if -- I find anything to photograph. So, that means setting up and taking down camp must be done in the dark, maybe every day. Lastly, (and I suspect I am over justifying a nice warm room here) if I am out trudging through the sometimes muddy or wet wilderness I need (well want) a hot meal and a hot bath. Walden Colorado seems to be a favorite spot; not for it's accommodations though. It's kind of a one-horse town, too small for even a Motel 3. But it provides great access to the Colorado State Forest and a maze of back roads that get you deep into the wilderness. I'll show you some Bull Moose, Cow, and Calf photos tomorrow or the next day, but for today leave you with a nice surprise:
American Beaver out for a very quick swim early one morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment