Thursday, November 18, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part II

Continuing with Bear Stories. I was in Canada fishing the lakes around Kamloops. I had just finished fishing at Island Lake and on my way to Tunkwa Lake.  On the way I came across this black bear with her two cubs -- one of which was brown (as you can see). Although, bears have a great sense of smell, they don't have great eyesight.  The mother had to stand to get a good look at me. I took several photos of mom and the cubs before running out of film. The sound of the camera rewinding the film was loud enough to scare off mom, after which the cubs followed. I can't seem to find the photo of the little black cub, but mom and the brown cub are below. Two miles further down the road, I came across another bear, much closer to the (dirt) road. I got out of the truck, and using the truck as a barrier as well as tripod took several closeups --- none of which I can find. I must admit that after years of slide photography, I much prefer every aspect of digital; especially, storing, sorting, naming, and creating greeting cards, books, blogs, and emails.



Addendum 12/4/10:

In sorting through an old photo album I found two more photos of the Mom and one of the second Black Bear Cub:




No comments:

Post a Comment