Friday, November 19, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part III

There is but one road going through Kootenay National Park in British Columbia.  And, it is a great road that ends up -- or starts at Radium Hot Springs, a wonderful -- and colorful town with, what else hot springs. But, there is a definite Swiss feel to the town. Anyway, I often see Black Bears as I travel along the road which parallels the Vermillion and Kootenay Rivers. It was probably my first visit there when I stopped at a goat lick  -- looking for goats, of course. Although there were no goats there was a Black Bear  eating not far from the pullout. Bears are quite different than coyotes. When a coyote would come toward me, I would just continue taking photos, although cautious.  But when a Black Bear comes toward me I now know enough to leave the area. This incident was that learning experience. As you can see from the first photo, the Bear came walking in my direction.  You can also see this was not a young or small Bear. He didn't come toward me with a "curious look" or thinking he might get a handout. It was a look of "I was here first, move along!!!" I quickly got back into the truck. He then turned and started walking away toward the treeline. The "forest" he was headed into was not deep. It was maybe 50 yards at most between the road and the Vermillion River. So, I thought well maybe another photo.  I got out of the truck and started walking in his direction. After about 20 yards, he turned and took a step toward me again. At this point, I said to myself, "I don't think he wants me around. Maybe I should respect his wishes?" I got back in the truck and I drove off. And, it was from that day on that I never follow a bear whether it runs away  - or, walks away. Once it decides it doesn't want to be around me, I respect that and do not track or follow. I think that is good advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment