Monday, November 8, 2010

CARNIVORES: Coyote Stories - Part VI

I would guess that 75 percent of all my large mammal photos were taken no more than a hundred yards from my Jeep or Truck. Only about 25 percent were taken while I was hiking. I think there are two reasons for that. First, you can cover much more ground in a vehicle than by foot (20 - 40 miles an hour versus 2 miles an hour). Second, when on foot animals can see, hear, or smell you and because you are moving so slow have plenty of time to find cover or run away. I remember seeing an aerial video of a bear running away from oncoming hikers who were nearly a mile away. And, out of the 75 percent, probably half were when I was driving on a paved road. I suspect that is because driving on a paved road is quieter. In the first photo below I was driving on a paved road between Little Fort and Clearwater British Columbia when I saw this Coyote cross the road. I stopped short and got out of the truck to get a better photo. When I did, the Coyote stopped, looked at me, then started walking toward me in a serpentine pattern. Once he was about 20 feet away he stopped --- as did I. This was a very sweet and curious Coyote which I hope I captured in the photograph:


In the next photo I was on a dirt road traveling to Douglas Lake from Nicola, British Columbia when I saw this Coyote in an open field. There was no place for him to hide -- but, he didn't seem interested in hiding anyway. He too was curious and slowly approached me:


The last Coyote photo (for the day) comes from about 20 miles outside of Jasper National Park in Alberta. He was just sitting among the pine trees. I took several photos. I don't know what happened to the one where he was just sitting. But here is one just after he got up:


No comments:

Post a Comment