Saturday, November 27, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part VII

Although, National Parks are home to a great many Bears, each Park is managed differently. Take for example Glacier National Park. I was driving along one of the roads when I saw 25 cars "parked" on or off the road ahead with no way to pass. It seemed obvious that a Bear was around. When I got out of my truck I could see a beautiful Cinnamon Black Bear. There were wildflowers around so it made for some nice photos. But, there was also a Ranger. In Yellowstone the Rangers keep people a "safe distance" from bears. In Glacier, the Rangers keep Bears a "safe distance" from people. They do so with a gun, shooting blanks in the direction of the Bear. I am not crazy about that strategy. The Ranger shot several times "chasing" the Bear far from the road and out of sight. The show was over! There is a fine line -- or, maybe a gray area -- between 1) keeping people out of wilderness areas to protect Bears and Wolves (and other wildlife), and 2) providing opportunities to see these beautiful animals in the wild. I suspect in ways I am different. I am not a "tourist." When I go to Yellowstone, I avoid Old Faithful and as many of the Geysers as I possibly can. I am there to find and photograph wildlife. I suspect there are others who go to places like Yellowstone primarily to see the Geysers, and want "protection" from dangerous animals. Different strokes, I guess. Suffice it to say, I was disappointed not to be able to spend more time with this particular Bear:

No comments:

Post a Comment