Friday, November 12, 2010

CARNIVORES: Wolves

I have several "Wolf Stories", but unfortunately, most without photos. The first Gray Wolf photo I took was when I was transitioning from avid "flyfisherman" to wildlife photographer. It was 1996. One of my favorite lakes was Ernst Lake in British Columbia southeast of Kamloops. It is a "trophy" lake, with minimum 24 inch (three pound) trout. Its access is rough, so a 4x4 with high clearance is required. Although not required -- well sometimes required -- a winch makes the journey less worrisome. As I am getting to the lake I see a Gray (Timber) Wolf standing in the road about 40 yards ahead of me. I grabbed my new Minolta APS camera and took a photo through the windshield. Then got out of the truck to get a better photo. But, the Wolf "hopped", yes "hopped" into the woods and out of sight. So, I got back in the truck to drive to the spot I was going to camp. As I did, the Wolf "hopped" back into the center of the road. So, out of the truck to try to get a better photo. I did get a couple of photos before he "hopped" back into the woods. I stood waiting to see what would happen, and then heard and saw parts of what looked like four or five wolves running away. Guess the one I saw was the "scout" -- maybe Alpha. I kept the photos for years, but can't seem to find any of them now. They didn't turn out very well. I had the wrong film in the camera for shooting in the deep forest with very little light. I saw another wolf in that same general area the following year, but only got his "backside" as he was running away from me. Can't find that photo either.

Addendum 12/4/10:

In searching through an old photo album I found the photo of the Grey Wolf at Ernst Lake:


Not a very good photo, but there he is on the "road".

No comments:

Post a Comment